On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 04:40 AM, Martin DeMello wrote:

> Doug Kearns <djkea2 / mugca.its.monash.edu.au> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 02:04:13AM +0900, Sean O'Dell wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> My point here is, I have yet to hear of a single person who left Ruby
>>> for another scripting language.
>>
>> I came across someone today on the JudoScript list doing just that. If
>> you're interested have a look at:

>> http://www.judoscript.com/
>
> lines = words = chars = 0
> IO.foreach(ARGV[0]) {|line|
>   lines += 1
>   words += line.split.length
>   chars += line.length
> }
>
> puts "#{lines} #{words} #{chars}"
>
> Just saying :)
>
> martin

Not only is the judoscript version the most terse, it's also seems to
  me to be the most intuitively obvious. Okay, I admit that the use of
  . and :: aren't as clear as 'println' or explicitly declaring the
  variables in the global scope, but they are "the judo way".

</quote>

contents = IO.readlines ARGV[0]
puts [
   contents.size, contents.join.split.size, contents.join.size
].join ' '

Any terser? ;-)

Gennady.