dblack / superlink.net wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.44.0308221317310.4913-100000 / candle>...
> I can't help wondering why the term "static" is coming up so much.

The "static" term comes from C++ and/or Java where it declares
a variable which is a single instance of that variable, scoped
to the class, with access properties passed by inheritance to the
children. In Ruby, the equivalent characteristics of "static"
variables are partially represented by class variables and
partially representable by instance variables on a class object.
My previous code above was mostly an excercise to see how to
reproduce C++ static variable behavior -- particularly private
static variables. Of course after seeing Nathaniel's post ...
well, what's the emoticon for slapping youself on the forehead?

Cheers,
- alan