On Friday, August 22, 2003, 4:14:22 AM, Sean wrote:

> Keep those separate though.  My suggestion can be conducted by you going
> around and doing your own search for Ruby ex-patriates.  My opinion
> about what you will find should be ignored.  Go prove me wrong.

From http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?PythonVsRuby

     Yes. I like Ruby better than Python (though lately I've become
     dissatisfied with both of them), but occasionally beginners have
     asked me for a recommendation for a first programming language,
     and I always tell them, "Smalltalk or Python." -- AdamSpitz

But so what?  No matter how great you and I think Ruby is (and how
right we are ;-) there will always be people who:
 - have the right mental mould to really enjoy a language like
   OCaml or Smalltalk or Haskell or ...
 - happen to come across Ruby first and/or foremost
 - get into their true love of a language later and leave Ruby behind

And I'm greatful for the existence of these people: they always seem
to be smarter than me, and inject some interesting things into the
Ruby community, be it code or discussions, and cause me to learn
things about other languages that I ordinarily wouldn't.

Gavin, who is
 - reading Alan Kay's "The Early History of Smalltalk" on the train
 - reading a good OCaml tutorial in breaks at work
 - stuck programming Java for a living