On Friday, August 22, 2003, 2:42:09 AM, Ben wrote:

> [...]

> class << self
> end

> This is one of the many ways of defining class methods in Ruby, but
> while it is extremely common in the standard library, it's one that I
> don't believe is mentioned in the Pickaxe.  In addition to this, there
> were all kinds of other interesting, but odd things lurking in the
> standard library, like instance_eval.

It's a standard idiom - not one of my favourites, but there you go -
and I'm sure any update to the pickaxe will mention it.  Look at
ClassMethods on the Wiki for a roundup.

> Btw, I'm basing this off Ruby 1.6.8.  I haven't gotten around to
> installing 1.8 on this machine yet because I haven't found RedHat 9 RPMs.

It's worthwhile getting Ruby via anonymous CVS if you're interested in
getting the latest source documentation.  It's not perfect, but it's
improving, and it's better than 1.6.8!

Note that only API is documented, though, not curly implementation
methods, which I agree are abundant.

Gavin