At 12:15 PM +0900 8/22/03, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

>I fell sympathy for your confusion.  Unfortunately I can't
>satisfy everyone.  I'm trying anyway.
>
>I'd like to know if you are a designer, how would you design
>class variables in Ruby?  And how useful they are in daily
>usage?  I'm just curious.

For what it's worth, what ruby handles these exactly as I
expected they would be handled.  Note that I don't do much
with Java, and I do nothing with C++, so that might be why
ruby's way of doing it seemed "obviously right" to me.

I do use class variables, but I've never wanted one where I
needed a class variable to be different in a subclass than
in the parent class.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad / gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad / freebsd.org