Hi,

In message "POLS and names of mathematical functions"
    on 03/08/22, "Josef 'Jupp' Schugt" <jupp / gmx.de> writes:

|Implementing some additional mathematical functions I came across
|acosh, asinh, and atanh. Here the Principle of Least Surprise runs
|into a severe problem.

Ah, please stop mentioning POLS whenever your personal expectation is
not satisfied.  I'm sick of them.

|On the one hand it is not that uncommon to use these names. On the
|other hand mathematicians prefer to call them arcosh, arsinh and
|atanh.
|
|What about allowing for *both* names in later versions of Ruby?

Those names show Ruby's respect to the UNIX heritage.  If you want to
have alias to those functions, submit request with reasons that they
are worth adding lines in the reference manual.

							matz.