Hal E. Fulton <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> skrev den Fri, 22 Aug 2003
03:58:13 +0900:

> For the record, I have always been confused by Ruby's class variables
> also, thinking that they should belong to the class and not the
> hierarchy.

FTR, I've also been bitten by this. For me I think the problem
is their name; "class variables" just sounds like they would belong
to only the class. But of course subclasses also "belong" to that
class so there is some logic to it.

If they were more common I'd vote for adding more syntax (@@@x :))
but I tend to use both of them seldomly so don't really see the need.

Maybe this "quirk" should be added (or already have been) to some wiki page
for newcomers? Or is it obvious to everyone else?

Regards,

Robert Feldt