On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:20:29 +0200, Simon Strandgaard wrote:

> I have just made a small script which can measure signal2noise
> alphanum / (total-blank).  I am also interested in hearing what your
> signal2noise ratio are ?
>
> Try the script at the bottom of this posting.

thinking of translating ascii-historic into a signal2noise ratio:

There exists a grey area between alphanum and symbols.
Where some letters cause more noise than others... hmmm
If we consider looking at ruby-code, without any syntax hiliting, then
heredoc and comments is actually quite distibing.

This is just how I would prioritize such sig2noise-grey area.

top = much noise, low signal
bottom = low noise, much signal

@@
``           difficult to determine if its backquote or quote
''
$0           globals
//           regex is not nice to the eye
\n
::
;
<<HERE       we should ignore some lines
#            we should ignore to end of line
""
[]
{}           do-end is easy to the eye
@
()           parantesis is gentle
..
+-/*=        math is like our alphabet
_            underscore is quite harmless

--
Simon Strandgaard