Sean O'Dell <sean / cseplsoafmt.com[remove_the_spam]> wrote:

> I whole-heartedly agree we should learn a new programming language every
> year.  I think though, for me, it has to at least have the promise of
> being better than Ruby for me to bother.
>
> As far as I know, nothing with that promise has arrived.

Haskell was definitely worth the learning experience. Right now some of
us over on the LotY group have settled on Oz, whose enthusiastically
multiparadigm nature promises to be fun. And I'm also learning Nice for
pragmatic reasons - it's the only really attractive language I've seen
that compiles to JVM bytecode. None of them are necessarily better than
Ruby, but they play in different sandpits altogether, so the comparison
doesn't arise.

martin