harryo / zipworld.com.au (Harry Ohlsen) wrote:

>I've just written a reasonably large app in Ruby/Tk and was wondering
>about porting to GTK+, so your good experience gives me a little more
>confidence.  I almost bought a book on programming with GTK+ earlier
>today, but decided against it.

My app is really simple so far. The main window
contains a scrolling listbox, a text editor, and
a group of buttons. My popup window contains two
label/field pairs, a text editor, and a button.
That's it.

I very deliberately kept the GUI layer as thin as
possible (no logic). I suspect it will take an
hour or two to port to Ruby/GTK.

I have "GTK+/Gnope Application Development" by
Pennington. It's not very relevant for this
stuff. It doesn't even have an API reference, and
doesn't cover interesting widgets (like Clist
[listbox]). I may go buy a GTK+ API book, but the
online API reference is so good (and Ruby/GTK
follows it so closely) that I haven't felt like I
need to yet.

Kevin