Martin DeMello wrote:
> Brandon J. Van Every <vanevery / 3dprogrammer.com> wrote:
>
>> You are not as far along, but there is nothing stopping you guys.
>> Drop the "build it and they will come" attitude.  Recognize that if
>> that's your attitude, people *won't* come.  They'll go to Python, or
>> Java, or C#, or something better.
>
> Okay, you want to jump in and ask questions without spending the time
> lurking first. Fine. But telling us what we're doing wrong on two
> days' acquaintance with the group, and none at all with the language,
> is a bit rich, no?
>
> And we're having fun building it. And you do realise, do you not, that
> you're speaking to people who *did* come? Without the benefit of a
> comp.lang.ruby-marketing to draw us in? Think about it.

Think about the stats in the Mindshare thread.  Ruby has got 1/3 to 1/5 the
mindshare hits of Python.  Both are tiny compared to Java.  You're building
it, but people are not necessarily coming.  If you do some research on it,
who knows, maybe you'll see stasis or even exodus.  If you believe that
mindshare matters - for instance, how much open source developer
contribution can you marshal? - it would be prudent to monitor these things.

I feel I can pronounce this because it isn't any different a case from
what's happening with Python, and I've spent a lot of time looking at that.
Python is just in a lot better shape than Ruby.  Python is also the kind of
place where, yes the c.l.p crowd gives the same kind of "Well who are you?"
reaction that you're giving.  But they've also got a dedicated
marketing-python list where people say, "Hm, the man's got a point.  What
are we doing to address these things?"  Despite the brusqueness of style.
Some people are willing to hear outside criticism, to get the reality check,
others aren't.  Some people tend to the future, others don't.

> TIMTOWTDI, incidentally, applies to languages as well as it does to
> features.

Yes.  And since you're currently losing to Python, that should worry you.

20% of the world is real.