Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

>But... that's cognitive dissonance.  Either these so-called "religious wars"
>aren't useful to you, or they are.  It's definitely ok to decide that
>they're not useful enough though!  That's how I feel about TV.  10% of it is
>really good.  90% of it is garbage that rots your brain, sucks you in, and
>wastes your time.  I don't get any TV channels because the 10% is not worth
>the 90%.  Recently I discovered that I can check all sorts of documentaries
>out from the public library, and now my TV utility is 110%.  It's focused on
>exactly what I want to know!

Religious wars are rarely of real use to anyone.  Arguing which division
of Christianity is "best" or whether
Vi is better than Emacs doesn't usually solve anything, because people's
opinions on the subject are largely
influenced by what they believe.  You're not going to convince an Emacs
person that Vi's system is better
because for them it probably isn't, and that's just personal preference.

Comparing two languages (not necessarily here, because there's too few
people, and probably too few
"zealots") can happen for a while, but a lot of times it comes down to,
"C++ is bad because braces are
stupid" or something similar. That doesn't help anyone.

>I will check out those archives when I want those details.
>
>In the future, I think such suggestions would be more effective if you
>include a URL to a specific, relevant post.  When someone first mentioned
>ruby-talk, they mentioned it as though everyone already knew what it was.  I
>didn't; I assumed it was some chat channel somewhere and I wasn't going to
>delve into that sort of thing.

Here are my links:

Search page for ruby talk searching for "Python Ruby" I looked at the
first 6 pages of results
http://ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/vframe.rb?key=ruby+python&cginame=namazu.rb&submit=Search&dbname=ruby-talk&max=50&whence=0

This thread:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/79412

Python vs. Ruby started slightly after this thread:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/79433

Talk about Ruby's mutable strings, vs. Python's (and other languages')
immutable strings:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/79319

Wish for Python style indenting:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/79280

Ruby for 3D graphics:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/79292

Generic Ruby vs. Python
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/78736

Thread sparked by some article about how a guy likes Python better from
reading the language dscriptions:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/78282

Ruby and Python Docstrings:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/78651

Jython, Beanshell, Java Integration, and Ruby
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/76388

Ruby and Python's comparison chaining (1 < 2 < 3):
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/76396

comp.lang.ruby FAQ (for Gavin):
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/76087

This guy likes Ruby but has problems with the licensing (I forget what
actually, It's been a while since I read it):
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/75420

Ruby vs. Perl:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/73283

Discussion of PythonCard:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/73110

Those are just what I could find by scanning for different titles on the
first six pages of
the search "python ruby" (although the ruby is probably unnecessary).
You're welcome to
read beyond the sixth page of results (these go back to the 10th of
June). You can also
search for "performance", "3d", "why", or something like that, and
probably get plenty of results
I don't have here.  I don't really have the time or the desire to look
up more links.

- Dan