--Boundary-02=_rm4Q/wRIWvZFclU

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 6:20 am, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "the mindshare of Ruby (was)"
>
>     on 03/08/20, "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery / 3DProgrammer.com>=20
writes:
> |Pointedly: does Ruby have enough critical mass to survive?  By way
> | of comparision, the survival of Python is assured.  But in the face
> | of Java and C# mindshare, vitality is not assured.  Survival, but
> | stagnantion, is an all too realistic scenario.  The problem is,
> | when the rest of the world thinks it should be programming in
> | something else, the talent goes there.
>
> I think there's enough to survive.  But I'm not sure for vitality.=20
> If your purpose is seeking a vital language for the future, you can
> just wait to see how Ruby goes for a while.  It's still under growing
> phase.

Even if matz gets hit by a bus[1], the Programmtic Programmer=20
book-factory goes up in flames, everyone on this list switches to=20
python, and the new united world government outlaws using languages=20
that start with an "r", I'm going to keep using ruby until they pry my=20
copy of the source code out of my cold, dead, CVS tree.

How's that for viability? =3D)

[1] (Please look both ways before crossing the street!)

=2D-=20
Wesley J. Landaker - wjl / icecavern.net