I suspect that how well people take to a language depends on what language
they have come from. If you were using C++/Java and then shown Python you
would probably become enraptured by it.

However as a Perl programmer Python didn't seem such a great deal, it was just
too close to Perl for me. Ruby however had a large enough gap to make it very
interesting (much cleaner OO than Perl).

If you were into Python then again I think that Ruby is not all that much of a
leap unless the indentation really got on your tits :-)

Perhaps converts to Ruby will be easier to find in the C++/Java camp than in
the Perl/Python camp.