On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 01:46 AM, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> [snip]

>  Could you tag any future /(Abandon|Switch)
>> (to|from) (Ruby|Python)/ threads you feel compelled to start with
>> '[DROSS]' in the subject or something so I can killfile them more
>> easily? =;)
>
> Whether I can or not, I won't.

The symbol '=;)' means that it's a joke.

>> Seriously, though -- what are you trying to find out? Just playing
>> Mephisto to a hypothetical Faust?
>
> You are proving that your Ruby community is not as welcoming compared
> comp.lang.python as others have claimed.

I think he asked you two questions.

>   I just went through a killfile
> debacle in that crowd, which began with people who couldn't tolerate
> the
> asking of certain legitimate questions.

To repeat,  I think he asked you two questions that do seem legitimate
to me.

> You are proving my several-years
> held belief that no matter how diplomatically or graciously a
> contentious
> subject is broached, someone will come out of the woodwork and have a
> problem with it.  And, it seems, on Usenet almost any subject is
> contentious. ;-)

I think he made a joke and asked you two questions.

> All I can say positive is at least you haven't immediately surmised me
> troll.

I think he made a joke and asked you two questions.

> As for explanation of my intent, I gave it in the first post.

I forget the details of your first post. What was your intent?

> And I
> grow tired of repeating it to people who will not accept stated
> intents at
> face value.

Two questions in one post is tiring?

> I'll turn the question back to you.  Are you personally willing to
> assess
> the pros and cons of Ruby objectively?

I'll take this as a public question, not one addressed to Michael
Granger alone.

Yes.

>   Although you may have already
> answered, since you said you're tired of the talking.

What's wrong with a person being tired?
[snip]

> 20% of the world is real.
> 80% is gobbledygook we make up inside our own heads.

	When Adept Kung asked who was most worthy, Adept Chang or Adept Hsia,
the Master said: "Chang always goes too far, and Hsia always stops
short."
	"Then hasn't Chang surpassed Hsia?" asked Kung.
	"Going too far isn't much different from stopping short," replied the
Master.

Confucius, The Analects, XI (Studies begin), 16

Regards,

Mark