----- Original Message -----
From: "A.M. Kuchling" <amk / amk.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 7:43 AM
Subject: Re: Question: immutable strings as design goal?

> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:29:56 +0900,
> Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair / soyabean.com.au> wrote:
> > Yeah, and it's funny how he remarks about other languages allegedly
> > stealing features from Python but crediting CLU etc. instead!
>
> Er, that's because CLU and Icon *were* the inspiration for Python's
> iterators, just as they were the inspiration for Ruby's. The PEP
describing
> generators (http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0255.html) references Sather
and
> Icon, and searching the archives of the python-iter list, I find no
> references to Ruby at all.

Correct. It's well-known that Ruby's iterators
come from CLU -- I've never heard Icon cited,
but that could well be.

But I see no reason to think that *any* language
"stole from Python but credited CLU instead."

I did hear it asserted once that Python "stole"
iterators from Ruby. It's irrelevant to me. I'd
just as soon assume they came from Icon and CLU.

Hal

--
Hal Fulton
hal9000 / hypermetrics.com