On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, 10:43:38 PM, A.M. wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:29:56 +0900,
>         Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair / soyabean.com.au> wrote:
>> Yeah, and it's funny how he remarks about other languages allegedly
>> stealing features from Python but crediting CLU etc. instead!

> Er, that's because CLU and Icon *were* the inspiration for Python's
> iterators, just as they were the inspiration for Ruby's. The PEP describing
> generators (http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0255.html) references Sather and
> Icon, and searching the archives of the python-iter list, I find no
> references to Ruby at all.

You misunderstand me.  I wasn't suggesting that Python or Ruby have
borrowed features from each other.  What I was commenting on is the
following quote:

  It was nice enough to compare the yield statements in Python and C#
  (they are very similar, even though C# quotes CLU as the origin
  rather than Python :-)

It seemed to me at first glance that Guido would like C# to credit
Python as the origin of the yield statement.  Looking at the quote
again, I think I might have been a bit mischevous to suggest that.

Cheers,
Gavin