Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> Hi,

Moin!

> In message "Re: Bug when rerouting String#gsub with a block using $1?"
>     on 03/08/18, Mauricio Fern?ndez <batsman.geo / yahoo.com> writes:
 >
> |Is this just impossible to do in Ruby?
>
> In pure Ruby, yes.
>
> Ah, wait.  If you don't need thread safety, you can do it as:
>
> [code snippet snipped]

That's a nice hack, thank you! And I think Nobu Nakada's change even
makes it thread-safe, but are you sure that the incosistent behavior
of $1 in blocks passed to gsub is needed? IMHO this is a confusing
trap and thus a source of unnecessary debugging sessions for users.

That aside: Are there other methods like sub, sub!, gsub and gsub!
which have this special behavior?

> matz.

Regards and thank you for designing a wonderful language,
Florian Gross