Hi!

Kurt M. Dresner wrote:
> I'm trying to access a PostgreSQL database on my machine, however, I get
> the following error:
> irb(main):003:0> conn = PGconn.connect("localhost", 5432, "", "",
> "music")
> PGError: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "kdresner"
>         from (irb):3:in `connect'
>         from (irb):3
> I created the database, so I should have the rights to access it...

Most of the times we are experiencing such problems the following
stuffs were wrong.

1) postgres needs to be startet with -i (for TCPIP access)

2) pg_hba.conf has to include host 127.0.0.1 and preferable also the
own IP address - for some reasons on some installations the postgres
library connects to 127.0.0.1 with some eth0 interfaces IP address and
then it didnt work unless this IP was also listed in pg_hba.conf.
Haven't figured out yet why :-(

3) createuser somebody

You can also look into postgres[ql].log and check there for error
messages.

Regards
Philipp Ott