Ben Giddings wrote:
> On Saturday, August 16, 2003, at 09:15  AM, Andreas Schwarz wrote:
>> I'm using XEmacs for Ruby editing, but it seems that I can't get the
>> syntax highlighting to work. I have installed ruby-mode, but only
>> comments and strings are colored. Shouldn't there be different colors
>> for variables, methods, classes etc?
>
> Hmm, it works for me.  If you can't get it working we can talk offline
> about things, but yea, there are a whole lot of syntax things that are
> highlighted for me.  Strings, keywords, classes, constants, comments,
> instance vars, #{} sequences, function definitions, regular
> expressions...

I found the answer in <http://www.ruby-talk.org/blade/40011>. For some
reason you have to call (font-lock-fontify-buffer) to make it work, so I
changed my init file like this:

(setq ruby-mode-hook
      '(lambda ()
         (inf-ruby-keys)
         (setq ruby-indent-level 2)
         (define-key ruby-mode-map "\r" 'ruby-reindent-then-newline-and-indent)
         (define-key ruby-mode-map "\C-c\C-c" 'comment-region)
         (font-lock-fontify-buffer)   ; <-- needed to get syntax highlighting
         (if window-system (font-lock-mode 1))
         )
      )

--