On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 08:35:23PM +0900, Rudolf Polzer wrote:
> Scripsit ille ?Brian Candler? <B.Candler / pobox.com>:
> [...]
> > Actually that's the other thing about emacs - would I be right in saying the
> > documentation is in 'GNU info' format? The world did *not* need HTML
> > reinventing,
>
> info works even without a browser. Use zless (vi-like keystrokes).

Sure, it's marked-up text and can be read directly. (You can read manpage
nroff source as well if you like, but I choose not to :-)

> > nor a browser with yet another set of keystrokes to learn!
>
> I don't use Emacs, but... doesn't it have "info" Emacs-like keytrokes? It
> at least quits on C-x C-c and has Emacs-like cursor motion. That's why I
> don't use "info" - it would be a chicken-egg-problem.

Yes, very true. On my machine, if you type "info" then hit backspace (which
being ctrl-h it interprets as "help" of course) you get a 429-line long
listing of keystrokes - just for an info browser! But there's lot of C-this
and M-that and ESC-ESC-other which does look like it's based on emacs.

> But there's a solution: pinfo.

I hadn't seen that (just installed it now - it's pretty good). If I could
reformat info docs as HTML though, then I could browse them with lynx or any
other browser of my choice. Now that *would* be nice.

Cheers,

Brian.