----- Original Message -----
From: "Sascha D÷˛delmann" <wsdng / onlinehome.de>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 8:32 AM
Subject: Re: Ruby & Windows-world; IDEs

> Armin Roehrl <armin / xss.de> wrote:
> > Thank Markus,
> > > I do not know any others IDE's for Ruby. never tried the windows
stuff, I
> > > have only Linux.
> > So do I as much as possible :-), but I think for the main-stream
acceptance
> > of Ruby, a solid working IDE is helpful -- at least many new Ruby
> > programmers coming from the Java world seem to be obsessed by
> > big IDEs.
>
> It's not only Java people who like powerful IDEs. I guess Smalltalkers
> like them, too. (I certainly do.)

Right, it was actually Borland in 1983 that introduced me
to the idea of an IDE (Turbo Pascal v3). I suppose the
Smalltalk IDE predates that, I don't know.

At that time, the IDE was very, very simple (and character-
based). I liked the idea so much that I implemented little
IDEs for myself in every environment that didn't have one
(and at that time, that was pretty much every environment).

Hal

--
Hal Fulton
hal9000 / hypermetrics.com