"Useko Netsumi" <REMOVE_THISusenets / nyc.rr.com> wrote in message news:<bhdfrf$10t1r0$1 / ID-159205.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Hi Andrew, I was wondering if you can list what I need to be able to compile
> any official release of Ruby with its extension on Windows?
>
> I'd like to know what compilers and libaries do I need to compile it
> smoothly.
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> /useko

Hi you can also try Mingw+msys

All available from http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml
MinGW-3.0.0-rc2.exe	12.8 MB
msysDTK-1.0.1.exe	 9.8 MB =optional=
MSYS-1.0.8.exe		 2.8 MB

I've used the one click installer but I wanted to fly by myself ;-)
so... Download Mingw+msys install, configure(easy) extract the ruby
sources and ./configure $$ make && make install and you get the ruby
binaries, compiling other libraries it's usually as easy, as long as
you get the dependencies (sources,libs)  but you could usually
fullfill those on http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuwin32/ I've
compiled many of the 1click installer on mingw(not all haven't
need'em,but other not included like eruby). So here's an option, the
advantage it's that it feels like a linux/*nix system(mostly)

Hope it helps! and thanks /\ndy, you gave me my very first
ruby(compiled)