Daniel Carrera graced us by uttering:
> Could someone offer me a comparison between Ruby and Python?

tim:/usr/bin>% diff ruby python
Binary files ruby and python differ
tim:/usr/bin>%

I'm not sure a much more objective comparison than this exists. ;)

> Me and one other person are thinking of starting a project and
> we haven't quite settled on a language. [...] Since wxPython is
> already mature, and Gentoo's Portage is implemented in Python,
> I guess that we are probably leaning towards Python.

So it seems.

> But I'd like to hear some thoughts and opinions first.

It appears you and your associate would be foolish not to use
Python in this instance.  Especially seeing as you have no
language preference, and all the tools you plan to use are native
or better developed in Python, your decision seems to have been
made already.

....but you might have more fun doing it in Ruby...  ;)

Cheers,
Tim Hammerquist
--
When in doubt, parenthesize.  At the very least it will let some
poor schmuck bounce on the % key in vi.