On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 05:30:59PM +0900, Sascha D?rdelmann wrote:
 SDr> I prefer
 SDr>     def do_something?(
 SDr>       bar, baz, bat, buzz)
 SDr>       true
 SDr>     end

Ugly: same indentation level for parameters and code sucks ;-)

 SDr> or
 SDr>     def do_something?(
 SDr>         bar, baz, bat, buzz)
 SDr>       true
 SDr>     end

That one is better, but doesn't save you much vertical space anyway, how
about:

    def do_something?(bar, baz,
            bat, buzz)
	true
    end

 SDr> or
 SDr>     def do_something?(
 SDr>       bar, # comment bar
 SDr>       baz, #
 SDr>       bat, #
 SDr>       buzz #
 SDr>     )

Nice one, but only for the cases where you actually have to comment your
parameters (which probably means you've picked up wrong names),
otherwise it's also a waste of vertical space.

 SDr> I know these are all far from perfect but I dislike anything that
 SDr> leads to long lines, including tabs. I've seen so much code which
 SDr> might look fine on a 21' monitor but doesn't fit into smaller screens!

I've always thought that using more than 80 columns for code editor
window is a waste of desktop space. If it has to look ok on 80 columns
(and I think it has to: 1) that's plenty; 2) that's all you can have in
many cases like console or default terminal window), why waste precious
horizontal space that could be used for debug output, class browser, or
one more code window?

 SDr> Spaces keep the chosen style. I like that. Code-Editors might
 SDr> handle spaces and tabs in arbitrary ways. The same isn't true for
 SDr> many other applications I might want to paste code snipplets into
 SDr> (e. g. a news reader or a printer).

Hear, hear!

 SDr> I also noticed that ruby doesn't allow some of my formatting habits
 SDr> simply because linebreaks split statements and the ruby interpreter
 SDr> parses code in a different way as my brain tends to do. ;-)

Try using '\' at the end of such lines ;-)

--
Dmitry Borodaenko