On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 05:56:25AM +0900, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> How do I get irb working nicely in 1.8.0?

Compile it according to the instructions :-)

After installation, 'head /usr/local/bin/irb' should show:

#!/usr/local/bin/ruby
#
#   irb.rb - intaractive ruby
#       $Release Version: 0.7.3 $
#       $Revision: 1.2 $
#       $Date: 2002/11/19 02:00:18 $
#       by Keiju ISHITSUKA(keiju / ishitsuka.com)
#

If that's not what you have, then something went wrong.

And you should make sure that /usr/local/bin/ruby is in fact ruby-1.8.0, not
ruby-1.6.8 (try '/usr/local/bin/ruby -v' to confirm)

And finally, "which irb" should show /usr/local/bin/irb, not some other irb
on your PATH.

[Possibly substitute /usr/bin for wherever I have written /usr/local/bin
above, but otherwise it should be the same]

> What's different with 1.8? Why isn't a current version of irb included?
> Why isn't readline built, if the lib and headers are available?
>
> (I'm using linux-mdk9.1.)

Sorry but it's not 1.8.0 which is at fault, but something's wrong with your
system or the way you built ruby. I suggest you untar ruby-1.8.0.tar.gz from
scratch into a fresh directory, redo ./configure && make && sudo make install,
and take care to note any errors which occur during that process.

Regards,

Brian.