In article <20030804022700.GD2720 / puritan.pcp.ath.cx>,
Nikolai Weibull  <lone-star / home.se> wrote:
: * Michael Garriss <mgarriss / earthlink.net> [Aug, 03 2003 15:35]:
: > Tab until you get to the 'right level' (in this case, in line with the
: > def) then use spaces.  This way you can expand and contract the tabs and
: > still have bat line up with bar.  Just remember: tabs before spaces.
: >
: yeah.  this is what works for any setting, and allows you to still use
: tabs.  the question is, how do you make your editor work this way.  Vim
: can't do this (yet).

Yes it does; it's done it for ages.

Put
    set softtabstop=2
    set tabstop=8
    set noexpandtab

in your .vimrc and you'll get what you're asking for.

Now why you'd actually WANT such a thing is beyond me.  I use vim
with "set expandtab" at all times because I don't want any tabs in
my code.  (Oh, except when I'm editing makefiles.  Faugh!)

--Dave