On 2003-08-09 09:54:36 +0900, Martin Weber wrote:
> Iiiiii know, the question was why would you come to the idea of trying
> to use a string on the right hand side. Next. throw 'hint'.

I think this behaviour was stolen from Perl. Perl is cluttered with
special syntax magic like this. That makes it really hard to learn
what's going on. I like Ruby's =~ operator better than Perl's because I
tended to swap both sides while coding and used /foo/ =~ "bar". Ruby's
=~ is commutative (with the striing exception), so it doesn't matter
anymore. ;)

--
Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was
once eccentric.