On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 09:06:59AM +0900, Hal E. Fulton wrote:
> [...]

Dunno, maybe because your (mmv, too) principle of least surprise (yes yes
I'm not argueing based on it, just offering a view!) told you that finding
a substring in a string doesn't need regexes which smell like being awfully
slower than plain string searches and the hope that

string =~ string

is something like

string[string]

At least that's why I'd try to use it (if not someone recently pointed out
string[string] (again!))...

-Martin