Hello Rubyists,

I was hoping to hear some thoughts on the distribution of applications
made with Ruby.  Say I make a GUI app with wxRuby.  I am not guaranteed
that the user will have wxRuby, or even have Ruby at all. I want to make
it as easy as possible for other people to run it.

I thought that I could distribute my app as a zip file which would
contain a copy of ruby for the intended platform, as well as all the
libraries, and of course my Ruby program.  The zip would also contain a
shell script which would set up the appropriate Ruby environment and run
the application.  Something like this:

#/bin/sh
#
# myprogram -- This is the file that the user actually runs.

RUBYLIB="."
PATH="."

ruby my_ruby_prog.rb

I'm sure that it's possible to do something like that for Windows also.

The user would simply unzip the file and click on "myprogram", which is
the above shell script.  So it would be a zero-install program.

Would this work the way I expect?

My distribution zip file could contain a directory for every platform that
is supported.

Thoughts?
--
Daniel Carrera | PGP: 6643 8C8B 3522 66CB D16C D779 2FDD 7DAC 9AF7 7A88
Math PhD. UMD  | http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/pgp.html

Weekly Smile:
        There are 10 types of people in the world...
        Those who understand binary -  and those who don't.