Hello all,

This is a summary of ruby-dev ML last week.

[ruby-dev:20954] ruby 1.8.0 preview5
[ruby-dev:21039] ruby 1.8.0 preview6
[ruby-list:38015] [ANN] ruby 1.8.0

  As you have already known, ruby 1.8.0 was released, after
  many previews. Congratulations!

[ruby-dev:20949] multiple Tk interpreter support

  Hidetoshi NAGAI announced that he added and modified
  some files to ruby CVS tree for Tk module to support
  multiple Tk interpreters. You can use this feature
  in Ruby 1.8.0.

[ruby-dev:20957] [BigDecimal] conflict between Numeric#div and BigDecimal#div
[ruby-dev:21062] [BigDecimal] Proposal for temporal omission

  Tadashi Saito pointed out that Numeric#div and BigDecimal#div
  have different semantics. He proposed to change the name of
  BigDecimal#div. There were many responses of this proposal,
  but we could not reach any conclusion.  In 1.8.0, BigDecimal#div
  is left as it is.
  Tadashi Saito thought BigDecimal was not mature enough to
  add into standard distribution, so he also proposed that
  BigDecimal should be polished before added to distribution.
  Shigeo Kobayashi, the author of BigDecimal, and Matz agreed
  that there were some differences between BigDecimal and other
  Numeric classes. But we have less experience and knowledge
  to solve the problem, so we must use BigDecimal and Numeric
  class more and brush up Ruby Numeric System.

[ruby-dev:20961] $stdin (Re: ruby 1.8.0 preview5)

  Kazuhiro Yoshida asked what methods are needed to the object
  which is assigned to $stdin. Matz replied that the methods
  (which ARGV calls internally) are as follows:

     gets, readline, readlines, getc, readchar, tell, seek,
     pos=, rewind, fileno, to_io, eof, each_line, each_byte,
     binmode, closed?

[ruby-dev:21034] Rational released

  Shin-ichiro HARA released Rational library in C. He wants
  to add this library to standard distribution in future.

Regards,

TAKAHASHI 'Maki' Masayoshi     E-mail: maki / rubycolor.org