----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Sugalski" <dan / sidhe.org>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: Why does Ruby have callcc?

> At 7:27 AM +0900 8/7/03, Ben Giddings wrote:
> >I have been interested in these continuation-thingys for a while now, so
now
> >that the subject came up, I decided to take a good look.
> >
> >I now think I understand how they work, and when they might be used, but
that
> >still leaves a few questions:
> >
> >1) Why do they have the strange syntax they have
>
> They don't--there's no inherent strange syntax to them. The syntax
> comes from the language implementing the continuation semantics.

Well, be fair. He's talking about continuations *in Ruby* --
why do they look they way they do from a language user's
perspective?

And I have to agree with him -- it's unintuitive to me why
there should be a block as opposed to just a "Continuation.new"
call. And likewise I don't understand why callcc is in Kernel.

Hal

--
Hal Fulton
hal9000 / hypermetrics.com