On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Mills Thomas (app1tam) wrote:

> I'm interested in server-side dynamic web content.  I've had some experience
> with ColdFusion and Perl.  I have a Mason book coming in the mail, though I
> have no experience in Mason, yet.  I'm curious what is the best Ruby-ish way
> to do server-side processing.  I've looked at mod_ruby and eruby.  Is this
> the closest match to Mason?
>
> My goal here is to compare the ease of producing DB-based content using
> ColdFusion (which I'm experienced with through work) with using Mason or
> using a Ruby solution at home.  My home needs don't need scalability.  It
> only needs to be easy and quick to write.

Mason is huge, complex and far more than you need for what it sounds like
you are trying to accomplish.  Unless you are building something huge
_and_ complex it's much, much easier to stick to mod_perl without Mason,
or even better mod_ruby.  For that matter, writing seperate CGI programs
is often all that's needed.

Why, yes, I really dislike Mason.

-- Matt

--