I was just reading Dan Sugalski's slides from RubyConf 2002 and noticed the benchmarks relating to something called "SMOP" at the end of the article.

It has Ruby 1.6.6 being the slowest at 206s versus Perl 5.6.0 at 165s and Python 2.2 at 136s.  Has anyone tried running it against 1.8.0 ... yes, I know it's only been out for a few hours :-).  Might give us a feel for how well some of the performance improvements work in practice.

Does anyone know where to get the Ruby code for this SMOP thingy?

The thing that really gives me hope is the final figure ... Parrot(fastest) 4.9s !!  It would be interesting to see a figure for Java, assuming it can actually do everything in SMOP.

Harry O.