sera / fhwang.net (Francis Hwang) wrote in message news:<7b561b93.0308031326.29676f02 / posting.google.com>...
> Database independence, to my mind, is a useful goal but not the main
> point of an object-relational mapping layer. For me, the main point is
> reducing the need to keep small database-details in mind, and treat ...

Moreove, we have found that DBI causes quite lot of overhead, which
might be very important for a live site. We have been using a
home-grown persistent layer as a part of our application server (not
yet released...) which was based on DBI. The success of some of the
sites (www.focusmag.gr) based on the application server, lead us to
try and optimize anything we could. We noticed dramatic increase in
db-specific parts of our code by removing DBI and directly accessing
MySQL with ruby-mysql. One major problem seemed to be the conversion
of results to Row instances...
--
drak @ navel.gr