U?ytkownik "Shashank Date" <sdate / everestkc.net> napisa? w wiadomo?ci
news:bgjg36$p9lo0$1 / ID-194283.news.uni-berlin.de...

> "wit" <wit7777bezspamu / poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
> > I read some parts of the "Programming Ruby" (great book BTW)
> > and tried programming some small scripts in Ruby.
> > I must say after this experience, I will never be the same ;-)
>
> Welcome ! We all have experienced the same feeling :-)
>
> > This language has some kind of elegance, [snip]
>
> Yep!
>
> [snip]
>
> > I'm little worried about Ruby's maturity, especially on Win32 platform.
>
> If by "maturity" you mean:

I will try to explain it more clearly below. I will also say, what I'm
willing to compromise.

> * stability,

This is a must for a finished product. So far, I've had the best results
with Java.

> * ease of use (installation, etc),

For a developer not necessarilly, for end user of my product, YES.

> * interface to Win32 API,

The native user interface is a must on Windows.
I have 2 choices:
-SWT (available with Java)
-wxWindows (not ready for Ruby yet)

Using WinAPI or MFC would make my application Windows Only.
I would like to avoid that.

I admire FOX toolkit and it's Ruby binding, but I know my users
would not feel really comfortable with it.

> * interface to OLE automation,

Probably won't need it.

> * documentation (of Windows specific stuff),

It's important but not critical. Ruby source code is available,
and I think I can learn a lot about good programming just by
studying it.

> * support of various free 32-bit compilers for Win 32 (Mingw, cygwin)

Not critical, but useful.

> * support of non-free Microsoft Visual C++  ( I recommend that you try out
> /\ndy's one click installer for this one)

I've tried it - works really good.
I have even been able to compile Ruby with Visual C++ .NET 2002 STD
(only with a lot of warnings about not supported optimization flags).

> and such issues then it is fairly mature. No need to worry there ! We have
> been using it for quite some time and there are many experts on this ML
who
> can help you in most of the situations.
>
> The one thing that IMO, is not supported like it is on *ix platforms is
the
> threading model. It is still light-weight/green threading (with no support
> of "fork/exec") within the language. You will have to rely on libraries
> (external) for that.

Yes, I'm aware of that. It really worries me, because my application
will need to be multithreaded. Users must be able to use it online
with real-time data feed.
It my be a showstopper for me.
Is it possible to create Ruby (maybe with some C code) multithreaded
application on Win32 without blocking the whole app. when
waiting for/sending data over http?

> Feel free to voice your concerns in more specific terms and I am sure you
> will get heard and some one will respond.
> HTH,
> -- shanko

Thank you for your fast response.  Please answer my other questions
if you could.

wit