On Sunday 03 of August 2003 19:06, wit wrote:
> Hi.

Hello,

> Now, my real trouble is: I have to choose the language for
> my next dosktop app. The future of my one-person company
> depends on this product. It will be a technical analysis app for
> stock markets, that would probably take about 40-50k lines
> of Java code.
> I know I can safely choose Java+SWT or Python+wxWindows
> and it will be OK.
> However, I will feel really unhappy if I don't write this app in Ruby
> (and some small parts in C).
> I'm little worried about Ruby's maturity, especially on Win32 platform.

Dave Thomas wrote a 26000 lines ruby application in few months, he wrote a
short report at:
http://www.zenspider.com/dl/rubyconf2002/SummerVacation.tgz

IIRC, his conclusion is something like "couldn't have done it in ruby, but
sometimes you have to look in the source to fix things when doing advanced
things".

in my little ruby experience, FXRuby is good, only you have the limitations of
FOX (most of the time it's ok). and i met a garbage collection bug, that i
fixed temporarily by disabling the garbage collector. generally i'm very
satisfied.

emmanuel
--
"Droit devant soi, on ne peut pas aller bien loin"
	- Le petit prince, Antoine de Saint Exupy