On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 03:28:18 +0900, "Kent R. Spillner"
<kent / zerosphere.org> wrote (more or less):

>Ben Giddings wrote:
>> You tab-users do make a good argument for tabs, so what happens when you want
>> to indent a continued argument list, or something else which isn't aligned on
>> a tab boundary:
>
>I defer to the OpenBSD style guide:
>$ man 9 style
>[SNIP]
>              for (;;) {
>                      z = a + really + long + statement + that + needs +
>                          two + lines + gets + indented + four + spaces +
>                          on + the + second + and + subsequent + lines;
>              }
>[SNIP]
>
>Tabs are set to 8; indentation is 1 tab.  Then the 4-spaces rule cleanly
>sets second-level indentation apart from the rest of the code.  "Oh,
>hey!  That code doesn't appear to be fully indented, so that must mean
>it is a continuation of the previous statement."

It sounds to me like what they actually want is a '1/2 tab'  fo
continuation lines, and that way they could continue to get teh
benefit mentioned earlier in the thread of altering tabs sizes as and
when they see fit - say 2 spaces big normally, 8 spaces big when
examining code structure.

Given that tabs are atomic, I'd then start using
2 tabs = 1 level of indent
1 tab = continuation line.

Mind you, if you then keep to Matz' standard, then 1 tab would = 1
space....   :-)

Cheers,
   Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr