On Sat August 2 2003 2:43 pm, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
> I suppose so, but it takes 10 seconds to redo indentation with any one
> of many available tools.

I completely agree.  It's just that when I'm reading code I don't want to
change (say Ruby library code for example) it makes me uneasy to redo the
buffer's indentation just to read it, then make sure not to save it.  Making
sure not to save it can be difficult too, because Emacs (and most good
editors) try to make sure you don't accidentally lose changes so even if you
say "don't save this" it slips in a saved version somewhere.  For me, that's
when the issue comes up -- when I'm trying to read some code I don't want to
change.

It also comes up when I'm using a pager (less) rather than emacs.  Changing
its interpretation of tab characters isn't something I've ever wanted to try.

Anyhow, it is interesting to hear to arguments for using the tab character,
but I'm going to stick with 2 spaces.  :)

Ben