There is no need for any additional code or info for emacs to strip
tabs.  emacs has the built in command "tabify" and "untabify"

And, in fact, if you set up emacs to use tabs, emacs will use spaces to
get to a column which isn't a tab column; it will simply use the
maximum number of tabs and then the minimum number of spaces.

So Ben's issues really don't exist as far as I can tell.

However, since it is so easy to convert back and forth (tabs to spaces,
spaces to tabs) in emacs, one can certainly leave this as a matter of
personal preference.

On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 11:04  AM, Ben Giddings wrote:

> On Sat August 2 2003 1:01 pm, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
>> That is true of any tab size, providing you don't mix spaces in (as
>> noted
>> above).  In fact I tend to use two, but I expand it to four or eight
>> temporarily is I want to see the block structure more clearly.
>
> You tab-users do make a good argument for tabs, so what happens when
> you want
> to indent a continued argument list, or something else which isn't
> aligned on
> a tab boundary:
>
> module Dumb
>   class Fake
>     def do_something?(bar, baz,
>                       bat, buzz)
>       true
>     end
>   end
> end
>
> An admittedly contrived example, but hopefully ok for the purposes of
> illustration.  Many people like that sort of alignment, where if there
> are
> too many arguments for one line, they continue on the next line and
> line up
> with the start of the first argument.
>
> I imagine you'd have 1 tab before "class Fake", 2 before "def
> do_something..."
> and 3 before "true", but what about "bat, buzz"?  Can you do it in a
> way that
> the code still lines up if someone changes their tab sizes?  I'd guess
> you
> could do two tabs then a bunch of spaces, but it would seem to me that
> would
> be hard to "police".
>
> Personally, I think the most important thing is never to mix tabs and
> spaces
> and since I've had problems with tabs in the past, I never use them at
> all
> now.  If you're interested in the topic, Jamie Zawinski has some great
> info
> on his web site about it, including emacs defuns to strip tabs from a
> file
> which contains them.
>
> http://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html
>
> Ben

Seth Kurtzberg
CTO
ISEC Research and Network Operations Center
480-314-1540
888-879-5206
seth / isec.us