On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 03:44, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> So, what was the result of the recent thread on Karatsuba multiplication?
> Is someone working on it?

The final story, as I understand it, is that a chap named Ikegami has written
some C code to replace the current Bignum code.  However, Matz is reluctant
to replace it, because the last he had heard from Ikegami was that it isn't
100% yet.

Matz said hopefully it will be in 1.8.1.

> If not I thought I might give it a shot, but I'd only write a Ruby
> implementation.  I probably wouldn't write it in C.

I'd be really interested to see a Ruby implementation, because it should show
the essence of the algorithm more clearly.  Obviously, the C implementation
will be more efficient, of course, which is probably important in this case.

Harry O.