When I run a progam with a "require 'date'", I get several warnings:

  /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/date.rb:278: warning: Object#type is deprecated; use Object#class

I installed the latest Cygwin binary snapshot, and it didn't change
the behaviour.  I grabbed the latest cvs, and 'lib/date.rb' has no
instance of "type" in it.

Examining the contents of the tar.gz I downloaded, I found that
date.rb is installed in the following location:
  /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/date.rb

My ingenious little 'rwhich' program gives me the following output:

  $ rwhich -a date
  /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/date.rb
  /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/date.rb

Conclusion: installing the latest 1.8.0 binary snapshot did not ensure
that I am actually running the latest library code.  I don't know how
date.rb got into site_ruby/1.8 in the first place.  Does anyone have a
bright idea how to uninstall an existing Ruby installation in order to
ensure a clean install of a new one?

Thanks,
Gavin