On Jul 30, Joao Barros wrote:
> Dear Ruby users,
>
> I am (still) ignorant about Ruby, but, from the very few things I
> read, it seems a very nice language. I would like to know some
> opinions regarding Ruby's suitability to parse XML files into an
> internal Ruby representation so that they can be manipulated by Ruby
> code and then written down to a new XML file.
> Is it a good idea to do it in Ruby? What about efficiency? Should I do
> it with C++ (with lots of templates ;-|) ? I already know quite a bit
> (?) of C++ and that is the reason why I am also considering it.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for any opinions. I need them!
>
> Joao

If you find performance to be an issue with the Ruby-only based parsers,
then see what you can do with Sean Chittenden's libxml package for Ruby.
It wraps libxml2 and is therefore fast and full-featured.  The Ruby API
to libxml2 is quite similar to the excellent REXML API.  What it lacks
in documentation, it makes up for in features.

That said, REXML has no library dependencies and works very well if you
don't need a validating parser.

--
Brett Williams                                 | (970) 288-0475