Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Brackets.
>
> Huh?  What do you mean "brackets"?
>
> Brackets.  Ruby doesn't have enough brackets.
>
> Hmph! I think ruby has the exact right amount of brackets!
[snip balmy bracket babel]
> I am being more serious than it may or may not appear.  I think ruby
> missed out on a big chance here.  It is absurd, but it's true.

This presents quite the dilemma on what to use for blocks when you are
introducing Ruby to someone.

On one hand, you should use do..end, which fits nicely in with
begin..end, class..end, def..end etc. so that it seems simple,
orthogonal, pedagogical etc.

On the other hand, you really need to write every possible block on the
{...} form to get high enough bracket-ratio to get into their geeky
little heads.

Personally, I shunned the do...end for quite some time when I started
playing with Ruby. Count me up as anecdotal evidence for your claim. :-)

--
(\[ Kent Dahl ]/)_    _~_    _____[ http://www.pvv.org/~kentda/ ]_____/~
  ))\_student_/((  \__d L b__/ (pre-) Master of Science in Technology  )