On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 20:03, Ben Giddings wrote:
> On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 09:25  PM, John Carter wrote:
> > Here is an RPM spec for ruby 1.8.0-preview5 that works for Mandrake 9.

You might check the latest PLD from the cvs tree at cvs.pld-linux.org,
module "SPECS".  No renaming of sources required.

> Interesting.  I've never really looked inside an RPM spec file before,
> although I've used RPM based system for years and have even built a
> number of RPMs.

Ah, knowing specs is a good thing to know when administering a system.
That way you can install /all/ things via RPM and then you get good logs
of what gets installed, and you can get them back out again.

> I noticed this though:
> perl -pi -e "s#local/bin/ruby#bin/ruby#" sample/*
>
> But I couldn't see anywhere in the file that perl was required.  Is
> this a mistake?

That should be "BuildRequires: perl" in the header.