On Fri July 25 2003 5:38 am, Tim Kynerd wrote:
> I would also be interested to know what the $DEBUG flag does.

While we're on the subject, I hunted around in /usr/lib/ruby/1.6 and found:

tk.rb:      p 'create_self has no arg' if $DEBUG
tempfile.rb:      print "done\n" if $DEBUG
tcltk.rb:  print("mainloop: start\n") if $DEBUG
cgi.rb:        $stderr.printf("name:%s value:%s\n", name, value) if $DEBUG

and:

jcode.rb:  printf STDERR, "feel free for some warnings:\n" if $VERBOSE
net/http.rb:          $stderr.puts "WARNING: duplicated HTTP header: #{k}" if
$VERBOSE
net/http.rb:        $stderr.puts 'Content-Type did not set; using
application/x-www-form-urlencoded' if $VERBOSE

For my own code, I've wrapped debug prints to save keystrokes.  Do other
people do this, or do you all just append "if $DEBUG" or "if $VERBOSE" to the
end of your statements?

Is there any interest in a standard Ruby module that does debug prints, debug
block runs, and other standard debugging things?  Does anybody already have
their own that they'd like to share?

I like Log4r and use it, but sometimes I'd like something a little simpler and
more lightweight.

Ben