Is it just me or is how to debug a ruby script unnecessarily hidden?

Can I suggest adding to the output of ruby -h something to indicate how
to debug.

With 1.68:

C:\>ruby -h
Usage: ruby [switches] [--] [programfile] [arguments]
  -0[octal]       specify record separator (\0, if no argument)
  -a              autosplit mode with -n or -p (splits $_ into $F)
  -c              check syntax only
  -Cdirectory     cd to directory, before executing your script
  -d              set debugging flags (set $DEBUG to true)
  -e 'command'    one line of script. Several -e's allowed. Omit
[programfile]
  -Fpattern       split() pattern for autosplit (-a)
  -i[extension]   edit ARGV files in place (make backup if extension
supplied)
  -Idirectory     specify $LOAD_PATH directory (may be used more than
once)
  -Kkcode         specifies KANJI (Japanese) code-set
  -l              enable line ending processing
  -n              assume 'while gets(); ... end' loop around your script
  -p              assume loop like -n but print line also like sed
  -rlibrary       require the library, before executing your script
  -s              enable some switch parsing for switches after script
name
  -S              look for the script using PATH environment variable
  -T[level]       turn on tainting checks
  -v              print version number, then turn on verbose mode
  -w              turn warnings on for your script
  -x[directory]   strip off text before #!ruby line and perhaps cd to
directory
  --copyright     print the copyright
  --version       print the version

First off, I was confused by the -d option. It seemed to have no effect.
It then took some searching around to find out that "ruby -rdebug" was
what I needed.

Perhaps the output could be modified to:

  -d              set debugging flags (set $DEBUG to true)
    	    	    	Note to debug your script use "-rdebug"

Just out of curiosity, what does setting the $DEBUG flag do??

--
Robert Cowham