Rudolf Polzer <denshimeiru-sapmctacher / durchnull.ath.cx> writes:

> Scripsit ille aut illa ah Lee¥© <xah / xahlee.org>:
> > Larry Wall likes to mention how he had a linguistics background, and
> > how he utilized the (good) human qualities of English to create
> > Perl.
>
> Haha... I cannot see that in Perl. Just because it uses some English
> words, it shows linguistics background? Did Larry Wall invent SQL
> or COBOL? *ducks*

Larry Wall made those claims in public speeches.  See for example
http://www.wall.org/~larry/keynote/keynote.html
http://www.wall.org/~larry/onion/onion.html
The first one mentioned his linguistic background.  The second one
mentioned borrowing qualities from human languages.

Whether he has successfully achieved what he said, you can have your
opinion.  But be it recorded that he did say those things.