Hello, all.

Recently, I'm working on BigDecimal. My main purpose is not to extend it,
but to be become friendly with other numerical classes.

"Minero Aoki" <aamine / loveruby.net> wrote in message
news:20030721215538P.aamine / loveruby.net...

>   * removing BigDecimal#sign. Reasons:
>       1. It does not exist on other Numeric classes.
>       2. #sign returns 7 constants for NaN/+0/-0/+/-/+INF/-INF,
>          but the method name "sign" is not appropriate for such aim.
>
>   -> Accepted.

This might be slip. It was rejected.
In [ruby-dev:20559], Shigeo Kobayashi, the maintainer of BigDecimal,
said BigDecimal#sign will be remain because it returns sign exactly.
When a receiver is a positive number, #sign returns positive number,
or a receiver is negative number, #sign returns negative,
otherwise it returns zero.

My anxiety is that only few people mentioned BigDecimal in ruby-talk.
I hope you know about BigDecimal, and use it practically.
The document can be found at "ext/bigdecimal/bigdecimal_en.html" in a
package of 1.8.0-previews. If you want to browse the latest version,
you can get it here:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ruby/ext/bigdecimal/bigdecimal_en.html?rev=HEAD

If you have any idea to brush up the specification of BigDecimal,
please shout at here :)
# almost, we don't have any time, however.

--
Tadashi Saito

PS
I know about Minero Aoki's great work on "ruby-dev summary" only
lately. I thank his translation.

PPS
sorry for my silly English ;(