On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:28:48 +0900, Mauricio FernáĎdez
<batsman.geo / yahoo.com> wrote (more or less):

>On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 07:20:29PM +0900, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
>> Lothar Scholz <mailinglists / scriptolutions.com> wrote in message news:<1173309890.20030719135052 / scriptolutions.com>...
>> > Can you tell me if .NET supports fibers ?
>>
>> No, it supports real threads.
>
>How do you mix the lack of thread safety of Ruby's interpreter with .NET
>real threads? I'm facing that problem with rjni (Java binding).
>
>> To my mind, taking advantage of real threads and Unicode would be the
>> two big advantages to a .NET ruby.  I guess a Parrot ruby would also
>> have these properties, since Perl has real threads and (pretty much)
>> Unicode?
>>
>> The third advantage would be the ability to use the .NET libraries,
>> including winforms, in ruby.  Ahh, to think, my windows GUI programs
>> could be written in ruby!  A dream that I doubt will become real in my
>> lifetime... but perhaps, my grandchildren... or their grandchildren...
>
>I hope your grandchildren won't use Windows anymore.

Given that over 90% of the installed desktop base uses Windows, and
that it's been successfully (in terms of market take-up) targetted at
handheld devices and servers, this may be a forlorn hope.

The very first IBM-compatibles almost all used Microsoft OS.

The current IBM compatibles almost all use Microsoft OS.

This creates an enormous network effect that tends to lock in the
Microsoft OS - as long as they maintain adequate
backwards-compatibility for apps.

And even if other folk take over the role of providing a platform for
apps which were built for Microsoft OS, the biggest platform available
will still be platforms that can run apps which were built for
Microsoft OS.

We may bemoan the fact, but facilities which allow Ruby apps to run
and run well on the Microsoft OS platform(s) are good for the
penetration of Ruby apps into the world.

Cheers,
   Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
Symbian/Epoc wiki:  http://html.dnsalias.net:1122